Solve Unamusement: target="_blank" (Blog News)

View Elsewhere

Solve Unamusement has been closed, but that does not mean you can't still find random amusements or keep in touch with the former author of this blog.

Everything shall be on the author's deviantART journal and there is a feed to go with it.

The Dudel Journal

target="_blank" (Blog News)


I do listen to my readers! Recently I had someone tell me "I like your blog but you should have links open in new windows". At first I was using the lazy answer of "That's just how blogger works" but then I remembered I could use HTML in the blog template. A quick search found me the code I needed at The Real Blogger Status, blog. This quickly became a nightmare with all my "Labels", or as I call them, "keyword-tags" opening in new windows, as well as when/if someone wanted to post a comment or "view a post" in particular. Clearly the "quick fix" wasn't going to do much.

Lucky for myself the blog I found had many neat tricks as well as some basic HTML, that I already knew but forgot the exact code. Those of you that know java script and/or HTML were already guessing what I was going to talk about.

Anyway, I found a neat way to make my link clusters into personalized HTML widgets that I myself can edit and add the target="_blank" bit of code to the "a href" which opens links in new windows or tabs. That depends on your browser settings of either window or tabs. Mine open in tabs as I do not like extra windows when there shouldn't be.

Well after that was done there was the task of altering all of my posts, but that was quickly given up. Instead I opted to only change a few of the recent ones as altering all of my posts would be an all day task. However, in the future I shall use the target="_blank" command for links that should not be opening in the same window as the blog I want you to be viewing.


I figured I would share that "bit of knowledge" with my readers, all 6 - 10 of you (The minimum is 5 while the maximum is something like 15).

If anyone has an idea on how to improve the blog, even if it something seemingly simple or trivial, tell/ask me anyway. (Asks go off better then tells.) I doubt there are those that have truly stupid ideas as I am still learning.

There is also the constant thought of whether or not to include a search of some type on the blog. I could create one, with help of that site and others, to include my keyword-tags, which I am thinking about turning into a cloud rather then a list, or I could use two others. The first option, and easiest, is to just drop a Google search box on the site. Solve Unamusement had one at one point but I quickly found it more distracting then anything, however, now that there are more posts it might be needed. The other is to find a simple search widget that only searches the blog and has no ties to Google. I am "torn" between the last two.

Other then the fact that during my "upgrade" some links in the link cluster area were removed to save time and/or space, that is all that has happened to this blog sense its last update. That is if you don't count our newest Following member Reyga, as news of course. Readers are always appreciated, mate, this is unless I prevent them.

0 comments

 
|  Solve Unamusement. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger